sábado, octubre 16, 2004

Silver Arrow

Michelle, if you think of taking archery, read this...

Why I started? I cannot remember exactly when started, but archery was in the back of my mind for a while. Two years ago, I thought it was time to check it out.

I loved it. The moment I draw the bow and I relaxed my fingers and the arrow was released, I felt an evergy I've never felt before. Ever. And it's there every single time. I've learnt the technique, but it's the magic of it that brings me back. The one moment where everything is out of your mind, just that one arrow that you're about to release.

And for me, it also means to be with friends. I switched clubs a month ago, following my instructor (Walter, my sensei) and some friends. Because for me, archery is also laughing with the boys in the line of shooting, travelling 11 hours to a competition and having fun all the way even if it is 6 AM and it's pouring with rain. Is being more nervous than your friend that's competing for the gold medal in his category.

My new club brought even more amazing friends. So every Saturday morning I get up, get some coffe, pack my bow, my Rembrandt (yes, I named my bow, I'm that crazy) and my arrows (my Ravenclaws and my Musketeers) and go to the field. I spend all day outdoors. I shoot my bow and then hang out having mate and playing cards with Majito. Sometimes I even read a little.

But most of all, I have a good time. I live all week in a jungle of concrete full of noise and mess.

On Saturdays, it all fades away....

Today I went to a medieval archery tournament and had a blast watching the rest compete (instincive shooting is not my strenght) and on top of that I won the raffle: an exquisite piece of celtic jewelry, a silver arrow point. It's perfect, because I cannot think of something more representative of my love for archery.


|