miércoles, octubre 20, 2004

Swimmer Ramblings I: Doing it Texas Style

Well, me and swimmers. Killer combination. And for those that keep stating that I'm obsessed, I keep telling you, I'm not. I'm devoted.

Before the Olympics, my knowledge of Swimming was good but a little outdated. Argentina is not the country where you can expect a lot of broadcasting over swimming. Which sucks, but that is life. We're a soccer country, deal with it. Athens 2004 brought the chance to see again some of my beloved swimmers: Popov, Thorpe, van den Hoogenband, Scherer, Meolans, etc. But my oh my, it also made me discover the wonders of the Texas Trio.

Aaron Peirsol. Ian Crocker. Brendan Hansen. Three Olympic Medalists (gold, I might add), the three of them belonging to the same university: University of Texas, that is.

Hook 'em Horns. They had become my main admiration these days. These men can really swim. Their style is absolutely perfect, like poetry in motion in the water. Brendan's start should be taught as "how to actually start a breaststroke race". Ian Crocker's fly stroker should be framed. Aaron Peirsol's back kick should be worshipped.

You get my point, I hope. And expect a lot of these ramblings. I have not even started with half of the swimmers yet.

But in the meantime, I'm glad that I got to see these guys raced in the Olympics and the WC. They just rocked.


*I'd love to stay here and be normal
but it's just so overrated*
*-*Blur*-*

|