viernes, enero 21, 2005

Swimmer Ramblings II: Brendan Hansen

I figured it was time he'd get his very own Swimmer Rambling given the fact that he's the indirect reason this blog started when it did.

What can I say about Brendan that all my friends have not heard over and over and over and yes, over again?

I remember first seeing him at the Olympics and thinking, "hey this guy can really swim breaststroke!". And as a former breaststroker, my favorite style and my complete love in swimming... that meant a lot.

But it was not until the end of the Olympics that I found Brendan Hansen Online, the site that Michelle had in his honor (unofficial, unauthorized and uninformed. we're not associated to Brendan in any shape and form. We just like his...er...shape and form) and I got to know a little more about his swimming and admiring other qualities that were right there for the eyes to witness (you all know what I mean, don't make me say it). Now, when he found out about the site and actually decided to participate on it, it was just wonderful. Someone that can take time to answer your questions and post a small but meaningful to lovely fans message, that is just sweet.

The frosting? His family. I don't think I've ever seen such a tight, lovely, fun family. His mom and aunts posting and pretty much sharing everything with us, wanting to get to know us (God knows why...), laughing at our silliness.

The cherry? He signed a cap for me. And I love it.

Bottom line, there's tons of things I can list about Brendan: his swimming, his drive, his eyes, hands, etc. The tattoo: yes, I love his tattoo. I said it the first day, that tattoo was the doom of me. And just the expectation of one day maybe seeing the second... But he also seems like a normal cool guy to have a cup of coffee with.

Finally, this is not just about him, but about the people I've met thanks to him: lala, aims, afading, meesh, atrophy, JHD, sarah, blair, steph... girls that I can talk with and I laugh with. And swimphilly, with whom I can share all my argentinean manners with ;)

The ultimate this or that Brendan Hansen quizz (courtesy of Brendan Hansen Online)

1. Black Speedo or Blue Jammers? Jammers
2. Olympic rings or Longhorns? Rings
3. Scruffy or Clean Shaven? Scruffy
4. Patriots or Eagles? Paso. I really don't even know what they play
5. Pumpkin or Bren Bear? Pumpkin: I created that nickname, kept on using it while everyone laughed at me, only to be rewarded by him choosing it as his username
6. Crappy Longbeach Bleachers or Athens Brothel? For competitions, the Bleachers.

But in Fantasy Land... Athens Brothel...with Pumpkin.

|